The 2015 legislative session kicked off today in Olympia and will run for 105 days. With a divided legislature, advancing our Union's legislative priorities will be challenging to say the least.
Our ability to be successful in protecting and expanding the rights of working families will depend on our willingness to get engaged in the political process, to speak up, and get involved.
One of our most important priorities this session will be funding our DOC contract. To achieve that goal, we have organized a DOC/Teamsters Lobby Day on January 27.
You can register for the event online here.
We will also be working on a bill that would provide Teamster taxi cab operators with the choice of whether to participate in the State's L&I program and one that would create a more level playing field for drivers in the State's for-hire and personal transportation industry.
View a complete list of our priorities after the flip:
Teamsters 117 employs a full-time Lobbyist, Brenda Wiest, who will be on the ground every day in Olympia working to protect the rights of Local 117 members and their families.
Brenda works closely with Political Action Coordinator Dustin Lambro, who is organizing opportunities throughout session for members to speak directly with their legislators about critical issues.
- Funding the DOC contract - interest arbitration award
- Passing a PSERS bill for DOC health care employees
- Ensuring that funds are allocated to meet the growing prison population, which helps keep DOC staff safe
- Fighting efforts to move offenders out-of-state
- Passing a bill that would permit taxicab operators the right to opt into the State's L&I program
- Ensure a level playing field with regard to for-hire drivers (regulations/insurance)
- Passing statewide Paid Sick Days legislation
- Passing a Transportation and Revenue Package
- Preserving our Workers’ Comp System
In addition, we will be:
- Opposing all attacks on prevailing wage law
- Supporting efforts to raise the minimum wage
- Opposing all attacks on the state’s pension system
- Supporting Family and Medical Leave Insurance
- Fighting to stop predatory lending practices
- Fighting to stop wage theft
- Passing a paycheck fairness act
View a more comprehensive look at our legislative priorities.