Our Legislative Reception & DOC Lobby Day kicks off this week in Olympia! On February 8-9, we'll have 150 members and their families meeting with legislators to speak about about the importance of fair pay, retirement security, and collective bargaining rights for working families.
Registration for Lobby Day is now closed. If you have registered for this event, please review the following information carefully:
DOC LOBBY DAY - ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
Our Teamsters Lobby Day event includes a dinner and program on Wednesday, February 8 followed by a day at the Capitol on Thursday, February 9.
IMPORTANT: If you are unable to attend, please let us know immediately. Contact Political Organizer Guillermo Mogollan at 206-518-2114 or [email protected] if you need to cancel.
The logistical information below will give you an idea of what to expect during your stay in Olympia. We'll be meeting at the Olympia Hotel at Capitol Lake (2300 Evergreen Park Dr. SW Olympia, WA 98502) at 7:00 P.M. on Wednesday evening.
Buses (for members coming from AHCC, CRCC, WSP, or MCC on Feb. 8)
The buses will be departing from your institutions so you may park at your facility. Your bus will be arriving at the hotel by as close to 7:30 P.M. as possible, at which time you can check into the hotel. Buses will leave AHCC and WSP East Complex parking lot at 2:45 P.M., and from TRU at MCC at 2:45 P.M. The bus leaving from WSP will make an additional pick-up at the Pasco Red Lion at 3:45 P.M.
For members from CRCC who are parking at Red Lion in Pasco, please let the front desk know you are with Teamsters Local 117 and your Park n Fly has been prepaid.
Driving yourself (for members from all other institutions)
If you are driving yourself, please plan to arrive at the hotel by 7:00 P.M. on February 8 to check in (although you may check in that day any time after 3:00 P.M.). You can park in the main parking lot for free. The following morning, we will all take buses from the hotel to the State Capitol and return to the hotel by 2:30 P.M. before returning home.
- We will be staying at the Olympia Hotel at Capitol Lake (2300 Evergreen Park Dr. SW Olympia, WA 98502)
- We will be having a buffet dinner at the hotel from 8:00-10:00 P.M. on Wednesday, February 8.
- We will be providing a hot breakfast during our morning training at the hotel beginning at 8:00 A.M. on Thursday, February 9.
- Before breakfast, please be sure to check out of your hotel as we will not be returning to the hotel until 2:30 P.M., which is after the check-out deadline. The hotel will provide a secure storage area for your belongings during the day.
LOBBY TRAINING AND LEGISLATIVE AGENDA
- Our lobby training at the hotel will begin promptly at 8:00 A.M. on Thursday, February 9. We will cover information about how to lobby legislators and provide an overview of the day.
- Please see our legislative agenda for the priorities we will be discussing with legislators.
- The training will last until 9:00 A.M. Shortly afterwards, we will board buses to the Capitol Campus from the hotel. Buses will return from the Capitol to the hotel at 2:30 P.M. We recommend you leave your car at the hotel as parking on the Capitol Campus is very limited and is not free.
- The dress for the lobbying portion of our event is business casual – a polo shirt and khakis or slacks is appropriate. Please refrain from wearing jeans and a t-shirt as we want to look professional when we are on the Capitol Campus.
- You'll also want to wear comfortable shoes as many of the buildings are marble and there will be a lot of walking.
- Please check the weather. If rain is in the forecast, bring a jacket or an umbrella. Due to COVID restrictions, some legislators prefer to meet outside.
- Our dinner on February 8 will last from 8:00-10:00 P.M. at the hotel, and breakfast will be part of the training the following morning beginning at 8:00 A.M.
- For our day at the Capitol, we will provide boxed lunches. Lunch will be available in the Pritchard building on the Capitol Campus from 11:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. We will be set up at tables near the coffee stand.
APPOINTMENTS WITH LEGISLATORS
- We’ve set up appointments for you from 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. with legislators in their offices. You will receive a list of your appointments at the hotel before the lobbying portion of the event.
- You can look up your legislators to see who they are and what they look like by entering your address here: http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/.
We are excited to see you in Olympia, and the legislators are as well! Many legislators don’t understand what you do, so your presence in Olympia to share your personal stories will make an enormous difference in our ability to enact our legislative priorities, including funding our DOC contract.
If you have questions or need to cancel, please contact Political Organizer Guillermo Mogollan at 206-518-2114 or at [email protected].
Do you like this page?