The Local 117 Solidarity Scholarship is designed for members seeking to further their education. Possibilities include:
- Members seeking to improve their English language proficiency;
- Members seeking to earn their GED;
- Members seeking to gain CDL certification;
- Members seeking to enrol in OSHA training programs;
- Members seeking to enrol in labor education programs;
- Members otherwise seeking to enhance their education.
HOW TO APPLY:
Eligible members must submit a scholarship application. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. The Local will award a winter and a summer scholarship. The deadline for the winter scholarship is December 1; the deadline for the summer scholarship is August 30. Award recipients are announced at the fall and winter membership meetings.
- Applicant must be an active member of Teamsters Local 117 in good standing;
- Applicant must provide proof of enrolment in an accredited college or university, trade school, technical school, vocational training program, GED prep course, ESOL course, or other recognized educational class or program.
Applications are reviewed by a committee comprised of representatives of the four Local 117 caucuses: Black Teamsters United, Comite Latino, Teamsters for Tomorrow, and the Teamsters Women’s Caucus.
Applicants for scholarships are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Union involvement/caucus involvement
- Years as a Teamster
- Teamster career advancement
- Geographical diversity
- Community involvement
- Economic hardship
- Appreciation of labor