Our 2022 Teamsters 117 Lobby Day is on Thursday, February 24 from 8:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. and this year it will be entirely virtual!
You can register below, but here is a list of FAQs about what happens and how you can participate.
If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to email Political Director Dustin Lambro at [email protected].
What happens at Lobby Day?
Lobby Day is where we meet “virtually” with lawmakers in Olympia about issues impacting workers. We will make individual appointments with the elected officials who represent you after a morning training where you will learn about what we are working on in Olympia this year, so you are well-trained before your virtual meetings with legislators.
Do I get training? I have never done this before.
Absolutely! No experience is needed to participate! We make sure everyone is well-trained about how a Lobby Day visit works, and what issues we will be discussing with lawmakers.
Who will we be meeting with at Lobby Day? Who are my elected officials?
Washington State is divided into 49 geographic legislative “districts.” Every district is represented by one State Senator and two State Representatives. We match you and other members of our Union who come from the same district with your legislators so you can meet face to face with the people who directly represent you. When you register, you will include your home address so we can match you with the right district. If you would like to know which district you live in, you can look that up here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/.
What is the agenda for the day?
- 8:30 A.M.-10:00 A.M - Briefing and Training
- 10:00 A.M.-12:00 P.M. - Individual Appointments with Legislators or their Staff
- 12:00 P.M.-1:00 P.M. - Wrap up and Next Steps
On what issues will we be engaging legislators?
Teamsters 117 is proud of our diverse membership, members from all across the state in different industries at different employers. What unites us is our commitment to improving the lives of all working people. That means we might have someone who works in the grocery industry paired with members who live in the same district as someone from the Department of Corrections. Here are some of the issues Teamsters 117 is working on in Olympia:
- Recognizing the vital work our members do to keep communities safe by funding the contract for our members at the Dept. of Corrections;
- Protecting our safety net by holding corporations accountable to paying their fair share into the state’s unemployment insurance system, which protects workers who lose their jobs through no fault of their own;
- Protecting the retirement security of all workers and pushing back against efforts to weaken it;
- Ensuring changes to police reform and accountability bills to include the voices of professionals who do the work;
- Expanding the right to organize a union in the public sector.
Does this cost anything?
No! This event is open to any member of Teamsters 117 and does not cost you anything. If you need to be released from work, you will need to facilitate that with your employer. We also do not provide any compensation for your attendance.
What if I still have questions before I register?
If you still have questions about Lobby Day, and you want to find out more about what happens and learn more about our 2022 Legislative Agenda, please RSVP for one of our online Lobby Day Info Sessions:
- Monday, January 31, 12:00 PM Register to attend here
- Wednesday, Feb. 2, 6:00 PM Register to attend here
How do I register?
Registration is easy! Please fill out our short registration page. So that we can communicate with you about important information in advance of the event, please fill out all of the fields including your email and cell phone number. We don’t share this info with anyone outside of our organization.
Be sure to type your email address correctly on the registration page so we can send you a virtual gift after the event!
What happens after I register?
After registration, you will receive an email with instructions about the event. We will provide additional details in the coming weeks, but in the meantime please plan to attend one of our Info Sessions if you have questions and we look forward to seeing you in February!
If you still have questions about the event, please reach out to Dustin Lambro at [email protected]. We are excited for this event, and hope you can join us!
Do you like this page?