On January 10, 2022, the Washington State Legislature convenes for a new 60-day session that will run through March 10. As always, Teamsters 117 is actively pursuing legislation to improve the lives of all of our members. Our focus is on holding politicians accountable and passing public policy that protects and expands your workplace rights.
This year, we will be working in coalition with our labor partners to:
- Recognize the vital work our members do to keep communities safe by funding the contract for our members at the Dept. of Corrections;
- Protect our public safety net by holding corporations accountable to paying their fair share into the state’s unemployment insurance system, which protects workers who lose their jobs through no fault of their own;
- Protect the retirement security of all workers and push back against efforts to weaken it;
- Ensure changes to police reform and accountability bills to include the voices of professionals who do the work;
- Expand the right to organize in the public sector.
Brenda Wiest, our Union's Vice President and Legislative Affairs Director, will be tracking bills during legislative session that impact our membership. If she identifies legislation that requires public testimony, we may be reaching out to you for your support!
On Thursday, February 24, we will be holding an all-virtual Lobby Day event to engage policymakers on issues that matter to working people. Can you join us?
We'll begin the day at 8:30 A.M. with a training so you get up to speed on the legislation we will talk to our legislators about in meetings that day. We already are setting up legislative appointments and will have that schedule for you as we get nearer to the day itself.
We have won some groundbreaking wins through the legislative process in the recent past, and we want to continue the momentum!
Do you like this page?