On Monday, April 25, our King County Coalition of Unions bargaining team met with the employer to continue total compensation contract negotiations for the 2017-2018 biennium.
As expected, the County presented a comprehensive economic proposal that responded to our call for across-the-board wage increases, proposed increases to the County’s contribution for health and welfare, and our proposal to address longevity and the current merit-based pay plan.
The employer also came to the table with a proposal for common language issues in what they called a “joint labor” agreement. That presentation was not received well by the Union committee. The committee felt that the employer’s proposal was seeking to erode hard-won language issues that in many cases are unique to specific bargaining units. The Union group unanimously and categorically rejected that proposal.
On Wednesday, April 27, the Union spent several hours reviewing the employer’s economic proposals in an effort to focus on the highest priorities of the Union membership and to cull out those things that are less critical. We also developed a counterproposal to address issues that are not resolved at the master table – what we are calling the small table economic and non-economic issues.
We will be presenting our comprehensive economic proposal to the County at a joint session on Wednesday, May 11. We are also tentatively scheduled to meet with the employer on May 25. At some point in June, we hope to conclude negotiations so that we can present to you the County’s best offer for your review and a ratification vote sometime in mid-summer.
If you have questions, please contact your bargaining committee member or your Business Representative, Suzette Dickerson, at 206-441-4860 ext. 1232. You can view a PDF copy of this update here.
Thank you to the rank-and-file members of your Union Bargaining Committee and thank you for your service to the residents of King County.
Your Union Bargaining Committee:
- Lisa Huntley, Solid Waste Division – Professional & Technical and Administrative Contract
- Dan Fernandez, Legal Secretary, Prosecuting Attorney’s Office - PAO Contract
- Debbie Valle, Legal Administrative Specialist, Prosecuting Attorney’s Office - PAO Contract
- Robert Stalnaker, Security Screener, King County Sheriff’s Office - Security Screeners Contract
- Lisa Ohlen, Customer Service Specialist III, RALS - PT&A Contract
- Cheryl Besmer, Customer Service Specialist IV, RALS - PT&A Contract
- Jennifer Broadus, Administrative Specialist III, Solid Waste Division - PT&A Contract
- Cynthia Adams, Assistant Accountant, Solid Waste Division - PT&A Contract
- Cheryl Ann Gunderson, Manager, KCIT - KCIT Managers & Supervisors Contract
- Lisa Parriott, Supervisor, DOT - DOT Managers & Supervisors Contract
- Brian Pinney, Inventory Purchasing Specialist III, Solid Waste Division/Cedar Hills - Joint Units Agreement
- Stan Johnson, Utilities, Roads/Renton - Joint Units Agreement
- Mari Jane Friel, Utilities, Roads/Fall City - Joint Units Agreement
- Chad Clay, Supervisor II, Wastewater - Wastewater Managers & Supervisors Contract