Are you a Local 117 member, live in Pierce County, and have a kid heading off to trade school or college?
The Pierce County Labor Community Services Agency is now accepting applications for the Jerry Beckendorf Community Service Scholarship for 2016!
Jerry Beckendorf has been a life-long community volunteer and activist. He served as the Labor Liaison between United Way of Pierce County and the Pierce County Central Labor Council for 15 years and continues to dedicate his time to helping others.
To qualify, students must:
- Be a high school student within Pierce County, WA;
- Have a parent or legal guardian who is a member of a labor Union;
- Plan on attending community college, university, junior college, trade, or technical school in the fall of 2016;
- Write a 500 word essay describing their volunteer experience and how it has impacted their lives;
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher or another adult that can speak to the student’s character and community service experience.
The deadline for submission is March 14, 2016, and your letter must be postmarked by this day. For more information on the Jerry Beckendorf Community Service Scholarship program, contact Amanda DeShazo, Community Labor Liaison, at 253-459-5107 or email@example.com.